Saturday, October 24, 2009

The pictures always make it look grand!

But, these are difficult to construct. I'm no detail person, I hate the minutia of measuring and cutting the small pieces and then keeping the line of the stitches straight, but even if I'm the regularly impatient, bumbling gangle of enthusiasm who cannot possibly color or stay within the lines (reasons I never finished training as a Montessori teacher), this quilting stuff still seems to come together for me! It's like a glorious miracle to me, much like my paintings that make me grin with glee just for the sheer pleasure of having plastered some of my favorite colors and lines and contrasts together to create something. Staggering to me that life can bring such pleasure in such small doses of essence, sheer bounce and bump of whirly-gig like joy. Here is the other block we've got going this week - log cabin - and I love the way it swirls and melds from the darks into the quasi-lights of these fabrics. I'm going to try another with different pattersnand colors, probably a more definitive distinction between lights and darks. I still have some energy in me and can't stop thinking about how other colors/fabrics will turn out; it's like printmaking where I have no idea how the thing will come out of the press.

No comments:

Post a Comment