Saturday, October 10, 2009

Brimming

Home on a Saturday is completely justified when working with my hands, listening to Johnny Cash's daughter sing "500 Miles Away From Home." I talked to my friend Nancy today, and we were worrying a word, trying to come up with the right word for fondness that borders on physical; I didn't want to use the word "full" but "pulsing" came close. Then, as always, Nancy came up with the right word - "brimming." As I listen to Cash's description of her father's list of 100 songs he told her she should know and then hear cuts of her singing her father's old songs, I am brimming. It is a feeling of joy, verging on tears, tears whispering to laughter. And that is how I hope I can offer my handwork to my family and to my friends - brimming.
It gets easier as each time we do something difficult. I was able to cut, sew, press, fold with something like alacrity. I shall sleep soundly.

No comments:

Post a Comment