Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Here we go again....

Thus begins my Underground railroad quilting course taught by Sarah Bond whose great grandmother was a quilting slave, and Sarah is a crazy for quilting; she wanted to understand her drive and dig some digging in her family tree to learn her legitimate connections to the texts that are quilts; however, she dismissed the notion of quilts as somehow instrumental in the Underground Railroad. Still the blocks we are doing are the same used by slaves. As Sarah says, "There is nothing new in quilting."
We begin with this design which is known as Monkeywrench, Churn Dash, Hole in the Barn Door and probably about a dozen more names. I bought the three outside fabrics, thinking they were gloriously full of sunshine and glee, and then did what is called "fussy cut" the center flower, which is to say that I cut out some particular image from another fabric. I liked the way the fold sparkles on this leaf even if the color doesn't particularly jive with my other fabrics; it will once I'm done with it.
My kitchen counter is again strewn with scissors, fabric, a towel that I use for ironing, and my sewing machine; all that is on top of my computer, newspaper, school files, books and always a little vase with the latest pickings from my flowers -still unbelievably featuring almost neon orange nasturia and pinky purple butterfly bush flower. It seems like it's been months that I've been able to pick these spunky flowers. What happy little faces these nasturtia have and how earnest this long congregation of tiny purpled cluster of butterfly blossoms are, both standing so stately in this tiny glass vase.

No comments:

Post a Comment