Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Fixing it up...

The computer or camera must make paintings look glorious - even my primitive, rough work on boards seem to look pretty fetching! I don't really like the brush strokes on the blue here, but it does suggest the fall of the edge of a table that isn't there. I always love putting things into pictures that aren't really there despite Max's telling me that it doesn't look like it really IS. Who knows what things really are anyway? How does anybody know anything for certain? Which is more real, what we experience in a book or a movie or what we experience in everyday life? Both change us and make our lives dense and complex. It is the same way with color and line. "What if " seems to be the governing principal of any effort to capture and embrace what is in our world. What if I moved this line? What it I used this color? What if I poke my finger in my eyeball? Or gum up my nose? What if I could hold the whole world in my arms?


No comments:

Post a Comment